International Visitors

The following are guidelines and helpful information for International Visitors coming to CMU as a speaker or attendee of a conference or workshop.

Visa Information

Many non-U.S. citizens need a visa to enter the United States to visit Mellon College of Science. Visa information and resources can be found at:

All visitors requiring visas are urged to apply early to allow ample time (3-4 months minimum) for their visas to be processed by their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. U.S. Embassy and Consulate information can be found at:

Also, as soon as a visa application has been submitted at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, applicants are encouraged to register with the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) on the NAS website and complete the Visa Questionnaire at:

NAS staff reviews the list weekly and will notify the U.S. Department of State of any visa application that has been pending more than 30 days.

Additional information regarding visas may be obtained from the American Physical Society, International Affairs at:

Visitors from the visa-waiver countries must present a machine-readable passport at the U.S. port of entry in order to enter without a visa. Information for the visa waiver program can be found at:

Note: For conference attendees who will or may be receiving any kind of support from the conference (travel, honorarium, etc.), the following requirements apply:

  • If you need a visa to enter the U.S., make sure it is a B1 (business) visa, not a B2 (tourist) visa.
  • If you will be entering the U.S. on a waiver, make sure it is a WB (waiver, business), not a WT (waiver, tourist).
  • Be sure to declare your trip as business at the port of entry, and that your I-94 form is marked appropriately (either WB or B1).
  • Be sure to request an invitation letter from your Jefferson Lab sponsor, and have it with you to show to the officer at the U.S. port-of-entry.